Saturday, January 19, 2019

Craving Quiet

     I know that I am not alone in my craving quiet time.  I have written before about needing to have time alone with myself.  I live in a three generation home with a dog...there aren't a lot of times that the house is quiet.  I am a better person, both mentally and physically when I have time alone.  Jim and I often laugh, although there is much truth in that laughter, that we live in the loudest house around.

     Jim and Delainey both like background noise.  They want noise, whether it's music or the tv, playing while they fall asleep.  D wants noise when she is studying.  D hums and sings when she does almost everything.  Jim likes the tv going while he is relaxing or reading.  Jim's dad is hard of hearing (sometimes), so he is loud when he talks.  He also has his tv on a high volume when he watches.  My mother in law is the only other person who likes to sit in the quiet.  The dog is a whole different story...she is calm when she wants to be, but she is only a year old, so there is lots of puppy left.  She isn't a big barker most of the time, but when she does...beagle/hound dog mixes have a loud, long bark!   I truly could be silent for an entire weekend and not miss the noise.

     I love my family and wouldn't change them, so I have had to change some of my habits.  That means some nights I stay up late to read, clean, or just enjoy the quiet.  Other days, like today, I wake up at 4:30 on a Saturday to get things started.  I have a list today, but first on my list is a cup of coffee while I listen to the rain.  I hope that you are able to find the quiet time that you crave this weekend as well.

No comments: