Sunday, December 15, 2019

Open Book

     This is not about testing, although I think that open book tests are pretty awesome.  This also isn't about the latest book that I have read, even though reading is one of my favorite things.  This is about me.  For the most part, I am an open book.  If it's happening in my life, I share it with people.  Sometimes with friends, sometimes with strangers, but I share my stories....even if they are lame. I always have.  I share about what is going on in my life because it's what I know.   

     When Jim was going through his cancer treatments and recovery, I was the one who gave updates.  He wasn't comfortable giving the information, but he was okay with me sharing the joys and concerns.  I am the one who is more vocal about the ups and downs of living as part of a three generation home.  I am also pretty vocal about the teen that living in our home. I tend to talk about her on a regular basis, sharing the parenting struggles that I have.  I share what is going on with me and my life because I don't want to keep things bottled up inside. 

     I don't know if being an open book is good or bad.  I guess that it would depend on your perspective.  I don't tend to keep things inside.  I don't want to keep my life secret, I believe in sharing.  I don't think that I have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but maybe I say it in a different way.  Maybe something that I share will help someone else who is on a similar path.  All the little things that I talk about are part of my story and who I am as a person.

     However, I have been told that I am guilty of over sharing.  D has asked that I not share so much about her and her activities.  That's going to be hard for me.  I love to talk about her accomplishments in life.  She feels that I am bragging.  I use my parenting struggles to encourage others along the way.  She feels that I am telling negative things about here.  I get it, being a teenager is tough enough.  without your mom telling everything there is to tell.  So I am going to attempt to stop over sharing stories about D.  If I write about her, I will make sure that she approves what I am going to say.  I think that is fair, not easy, but fair!

     Now I need to keep my book closed just a little bit more on certain parts of the story.  I have promised to keep D out of the spotlight a little more in sharing.  I haven't given Jim that same option though!  If you want to know what's going on, ask.  More than likely, I will share, but I might have to think about my audience first!

    

No comments: