Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Celebrate!

     I love to celebrate all sorts of occasions, big and small.  On Fat Tuesday, I make gumbo and my version of king cupcakes.  I have decorations for Valentine's Day, St Patrick's Day, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and of course, Christmas!  I love decorating for birthdays, graduations, Fourth of July.  Next week, Jim and I will be celebrating our birthdays (50 for him, 47 for me) and our anniversary (9 years).  Cake and ice cream will be part of the celebrations, not sure how decorative things will be since we are going to be on vacation, but still, there will be a celebration.

     A couple of weeks ago, I went to a celebration of life for a former classmate.  We weren't close, but she was a wonderful, loving, strong woman who touched many lives.  There were tears of sadness because Dee wasn't there, but there were also tears of joy.  Dee brought so many people joy in her life.  She was an amazing woman who will be greatly missed by so many people.  We celebrated the life of Dee and rejoice in the fact that we will see her again some day.

     Next weekend I am going to another celebration of life for a very special man.  Tom always had a smile and a hug for me.  I was always welcome in his home.  I never had to worry that I wouldn't have a ride to any high school event because Tom and his family willingly took me along with them.  He and his wife took me out to the local bar for my first "legal" drink on my 21st birthday.  I am sure that once again there will be tears, but there will be joy along with the sadness.  Tom touched many lives as well, I doubt that he knew how much he was loved.

     I want to take more time in life to celebrate the little things that happen every day.  I want my family and friends to know that they bring joy and love to me every day.  I want them to know how much I enjoy and love them.  I want my life to be a celebration, I don't want to miss the little things because I focus on the big things.  I want to share the joy in my life with others.

1 comment:

Leticia said...

Here's to enjoying the little things!