Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Beach!

     We ended our vacation at the beach.  Disney might be the happiest place on Earth, but being ocean side makes my heart happy.  I was born, and still live, in landlocked Indiana, but I am at peace near the ocean.  The sounds, smells, and sights of the water quiet my mind and soothe my soul.  I haven't been to the ocean in six years...it has been a long six years!

     Jim found a small hotel in Ormond-by-the-Sea.  It wasn't fancy, but it was clean.  There were two beds, a small microwave and fridge, a television, a table and chairs, a bathroom, all the necessary things in a hotel room!  I am leaving out the best feature of this older, small hotel room.  It has a small balcony with a direct view of the ocean.  I was happy.

     We went for a walk on the beach...just to get our toes wet and feel the sand between our feet.  The water was cold, but beautiful.  The kids loved it.  They kept inching out farther into the water, regardless of what Jim and I said.  It wasn't long before they both "fell" in the water and were soaked.  But it was all good, we were in the ocean!  We decided that it was time to take of practical matters...food!  We got the kids showered and changed, then headed to the grocery store to stock up for the next day.  We had a quick bite of deli food and then headed out to explore the area.  We drove down the road to Daytona Beach.  We walked along the boardwalk and took in the sights.  As the rain started to roll in, we headed back to the hotel for bed!


     Friday morning, my early bird Delainey woke me up and we went for an early walk on the beach.  She and I snuck out to watch the sunrise, collect shells, and enjoy the morning.  It was an almost perfect morning!  We woke the boys up for breakfast and then it was beach time.  We loaded up on sunscreen and went out. Jim found a vendor who rents out chairs and umbrellas on the beach.  I want her job one day....sitting by the water, putting out chairs and umbrellas for tourists!  We spent a good part of the day playing in the water, having a beach picnic, and enjoying ourselves!  We decided that it was time to head in so that none of us got burnt.  We headed out for an afternoon trip!
   
     The kids fell asleep in the car, so Jim and I decided to head to St Augustine, FL, about an hour away.  We ended up at a lighthouse and decided to make the trip to the top!  Bryce didn't want to stop, but once he saw the lighthouse, he was good.  Delainey wanted to stop, but once she saw 219 steps, she didn't want to go.  She and I went very slowly and stopped on each landing to overcome her fear of heights.  It was awesome to finally reach the top!  Jim and I wanted to spend time walking around St Augustine, but the kids were done.  We stopped to eat on our way back to the hotel and watched a little tv to unwind for bedtime.  Jim and I had a drink to celebrate our 10th anniversary.

     Saturday morning, we packed up early, and headed down to the beach for a final walk.  I was sad, but it was a beautiful morning for a walk.  And then we drove...and drove....and drove....  Jim decided that he was going to drive until he was tired.  When we got to Louisville, he started to get sleepy, but we were only an hour away, so he kept driving.  We finally go home around 11 or so.  The kids were sleepy, but happy to see Granny and Grampy Bob at our house!  Vacation is great, but as Dorthy says "There's no place like home"!

1 comment:

City Homemade said...

We went up to the top of the lighthouse too! Wasn't it a great view?