Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Tending the Fire...

     I have a friend who talks about being on fire for God.  I love seeing her face when she says that she is on fire for Him~her whole face lights up.  She has gone through a lot in the past year and through it all, she has been seeking God.  I have watched her journey throughout the year and I love seeing the changes in her.  She is truly on fire!

     Over the past few months, I feel like my fire has been burning out.  It is not out, but the flames have been getting weak.  I can make all sorts of excuses why this has happened, but they are just that, excuses.  I have made choices that have caused my flame to become weaker.  I have allowed other things to suck my time away from my prayer time.  I have become engrossed in books, that while good books, are taking time from reading my "instruction manual for life"...the Bible.

     So it is time to become intentional about my prayer time again.  It is time to seek God through His Word again.  It is time to pull back from some of the distractions of life to focus on the important things.  I don't mean that I am leaving all my fun times behind, I am just prioritizing my life.  God needs to come first...I know that when I have Him first, the rest of my life falls into place the way that it should.

1 comment:

Eternal Lizdom said...

I find that my fun times have more meaning when God is at the center.

Jennifer and I are singing this for Offertory on Sunday - it's gotten me through a lot of moments where I feel my focus slipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5qD9HOoGpQ

"When I fix my eyes
on all that You are
Then every doubt I feel
Deep in my heart
Grows strangely dim
All my worries fade
And fall to the ground
Cause when I seek your face
And don't look around
Any place I'm in
Grows strangely dim"

I talk to God throughout my day. Sometimes in focused prayer and sometimes just a quick glance towards Him, a check in.

And you're exactly right - just like the song. Keep your eyes fixed on Him and everything else becomes dim.