Saturday, December 7, 2013

Snow Day!

     Who doesn't remember waiting for radio stations to announce snow days when you were in school?  If the weather was really bad, school would be canceled the night before, so you could stay up late and sleep in the next morning.  Some days, I would be up and ready before school was finally called off.  I even had a snow day once in college...that was one of the best snow days!  Now, the school calls to let us know if there will be a snow day or delay.  Then, we grow up and work really doesn't allow for snow days anymore.  

     Yesterday, I did take a snow day from work and Delainey had one from school.  I have a pretty long daily commute and it starts pretty early in the morning.  I decided when the ice started covering my house that the risk of driving to work was not worth it.  After hearing horror stories of people traveling in my area, I am so glad that I stayed home.  The county that I live in actually declared a local travel advisory, basically restricting travel to emergency travel only.  My last snow measurement yesterday evening was 6 inches, with plenty of ice underneath.  

     Jim was actually scheduled off yesterday(but he was "on call" just in case he needed to be at work), so we used our snow day to have a family fun day...and it really was fun for the three of us!  After a quick emptying of the dishwasher by Delainey, I made pancakes for breakfast.  It was nice to have a quiet family breakfast during the week, that never happens for us.  D and I made some cinnamon ornaments to give as gifts, but they still needed to be decorated.  We covered the table with plastic and got out our glitter glue to have craft time.  I think that all three of us enjoyed making the ornaments sparkle.

     Delainey and I fixed a lunch of snacks...some veggies, cheese, crackers, sausage, pickles, and olives. We left them out so that we could munch throughout the day.  Jim and D went out to play for a bit...it didn't last long as D lost her sock and decided to remove her boot to fix it.  Barefoot, snow, cold...not a good combo!  They came in to warm up with some hot chocolate and a game of Yahtzee (yes, I kicked butt).   D had a little piano practice, Jim had some tv time, and I did a little reading. 

     We finished our snow day with some pizza, addressing Christmas cards, and watching "It's a Wonderful Life".    Pirate Daddy tucked Delainey into bed and Jim and I finished the day watching a movie in bed (and yes, I fell asleep before the movie ended...as usual).  It was good day for the Predmore family!

No comments: