Sunday, December 29, 2013

Solitude

     I am a person who needs time alone.  It is often hard to find that time with my schedule. I work four days a week.  As part of my work week, I have two hours a day in a car alone, but I can't read, do my scrapbooking, or relax during that time.  I work the schedule that I do so that I can be home when Delainey is home.  It is important to my husband and I that we are with her as much as possible. Jim has a busy work schedule, so when he has time off, it is important for us to spend that time together, as a family and as a couple.  Finding time alone is hard.  Luckily, I have a husband who gets me and understands my need for time alone.

     This weekend, we were supposed to go to Indianapolis to spend time with family.  I made plans with a friend for Friday night, with another for Saturday morning.  We made plans as a family to go to an event to help the homeless Saturday afternoon.  And I just couldn't.  I needed to be alone....to read, to scrap, to sleep, to do whatever I wanted to do.  So I called Jim....and he encouraged me to stay home.   I canceled my plans with my friends...and they supported me.  I packed bags for the family, gave them both big kisses and hugs, and sent them on their way.  I knew that I  would miss them, but an entire weekend...alone, ahhhh!

     I did leave the house Friday to do a little shopping.  My favorite purchase has been a fold up table.  I have my scrapping things spread all over it and I scrapped whenever I wanted.  I might even get our Disney trip finished this weekend.  I stayed in my pajamas all day Saturday...even when I left the house to get a coke from McDonald's (those cokes are my biggest vice).  I planned lessons for Children's Church until Feb 5....which is a huge thing for me lately.  I watched sappy movies on tv.  I finished a book.  I went to sleep in those same pj's.  It was an amazing day!

     Today, I have to get dressed....I want to go to church.  I have a few errands to run.  But I plan on coming back home to another pair of pj's.  I plan to scrap some more, plan some more lessons, watch more sappy tv movies, read, and maybe even clean the house a little.  But I will enjoy the quiet time no matter what I do.

     When Jim and Delainey come home, I will be refreshed.  I will be ready to spend time with them...my mind calm and focused.  I have missed them both, but I have enjoyed spending time with me.

2 comments:

Jim said...

I love you. You need the time away. Our family is only as strong as you are.

Eternal Lizdom said...

Wonderful post. But my favorite part is that first comment!!!