Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Summer that Slipped Away!

     I had such grand plans for our summer.  Delainey and I were going to take a week to visit family and friends.  The week that Delainey went to church camp, Jim and I were going to spend time with each other...a romantic before kids week.  Vacation was going to include white water rafting and horseback riding.  I was hoping to take Delainey kayaking for a day.  Swimming trips were planned now that Delainey is able to swim without stressing out.  And I hoped to go to at least one amusement park during the summer.  It was going to be an epic adventure!

     And then life happened.  Delainey was invited to attend an enrichment summer school program...the same week as our girl trip.  She wanted to go, and who I am to tell my child that she can't go to school when she really wanted to.  She had a great time and I am so glad that she was able to enjoy the week.  Every day she was excited about what she was learning, so it was well worth the time!

     Next up was church camp.  Jim and I dropped her off for her third year of camp.  She was so excited.  This was the year that she would be able to pass her swimming test.  She would see several friends from previous years.  We gave her hugs and kisses as we left, knowing that she would be in great hands.  We never expected to get a phone call that evening from Nurse Cody telling us that D slipped in the shower.  He didn't think it was broken, but thought that we should meet at the ER just to be sure.  He was wrong...my baby broke her wrist in two places.  She was a trouper though, not much crying though I am sure it had to hurt.  Delainey and I spent the rest of the week at home, adjusting to her new cast and staying on top of the pain that she was feeling.

     Delainey and I did attend a mission camp in July.  We had a great time reaching out to others and learning more about Jesus.  Delainey wasn't able to do everything because of her cast, but again, she was a strong girl and made it through!  Our family vacation was wonderful, even without rafting or riding.  We hiked a bunch, did some touristy things, spent time as a family together and just relaxed!  I even got to hike for a mile or so on the Appalachian Trail.
   
     We didn't make it to an amusement park, we didn't hike the way we normally do during the summer.  Our outings were fewer than we had hoped.  We spent time as a family, we watched our chickens grow, we spent time just hanging out in our home.  It wasn't the epic summer that I planned...but it was maybe the summer that we needed this year.  It just slipped by much to fast!


No comments: