Thursday, April 21, 2016

Emmaus

     Three years ago, I was picked up by a friend, taken to dinner with several people that I didn't know, and then dropped off at the Indiana State fairgrounds, without my phone, for the weekend.  I was ready to go on an Emmaus Walk.  For lack of better words, it is a spiritual retreat, but it is so much more than that.  For those three days, I was surrounded by people who showed me the true love of God.  I wanted for nothing that weekend.  At one of the meals, I wanted a Coke to drink, but there was only Pepsi..  I said no thank you and had something else to drink.  At the next meal, someone handed me a Coke.  That's how much people went out of their way to love on me.  I listened to talks, prayed, laughed, cried, and learned just how much God loves me that weekend.  I made friends with women who were strangers.  I came home a changed person.  I wanted everyone to have the experience that I did!

     I started to pray that Jim would want to attend a Walk.  Each spring and fall, I would ask...and the answer was no, until last fall.  I was so excited.  I got him all signed up and ready to go in Indianapolis...and the Walk was canceled.  Luckily, there are Walks just like this all over the world and I was able to get him signed up for one closer to home.  And it was exactly where God wanted him to be and the exact right time for him to go.  I tell people now that when I went, it changed me, but when Jim went, it changed our family.  Jim came home wanting more.  Since his Walk, he has been seeking more God, more family, more of what God has planned not only for himself, but for our family.  It's been exciting to see him grow in his faith each day!

     I also prayed for another dear friend.  Each spring and fall, I would mention it to her, but it wasn't the right time yet.  When Jim came home, she spoke to him and was ready to go.  I was privileged to be able to sponsor her.  We haven't talked in depth, but when I picked her up Sunday, her always beautiful smile was even more so.  I could see the love just flowing from her...more than usual!  I can't wait to hear about how God will be working through her even more than He already does!  

     I was lucky enough to be able to serve a meal to both the men and women who were on this journey the last two weekends.  I could see God working already with these men and women.  For some, there was fear and anxiety about being away from families for the weekend, but it was also early in the weekend.  For others, I could already tell that they were open and ready to hear all that God had planned for them.  I prayed for these people, that they would be able to feel and know God's love just as I did three years ago.  

     Since I have been on my Walk, I seem to have found more and more people who have been a Walk of their own.  God keeps putting people in my life who have had this same experience.  I feel a bond with these people...they are more than friends, they truly feel like my brothers and sisters.  When we get together to pray, I feel that we are stronger and more than we are alone.  We have this shared experience that really is like nothing else I know.  I truly wish that everyone would be able to experience a weekend like this.  If you are interested, I can tell you more.  I would love for you to be part of my Emmaus family!

No comments: