Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Forever Home

     I love to watch all the house hunting shows on tv.  I am always interested to see what people are looking for in a home.  Almost every house hunter is looking for a "forever home", that home they will live in for the rest of their lives.  I have friends who have forever homes...places that they moved into when they first got married, places where they have raised their children, places where they are spending their retirement.  I have a hard time imagining myself in such a home, even though I have owned homes in the past that I thought would be my "forever home".

     I have moved a lot in my life time...of the top of my head, I can count twenty moves in my fifty years.  That is a lot of moving over the course of my life.  I don't think that I have spent more than ten years in one home, and that includes the home that my family lived in while I was in college, so I was gone more than I was home.  Even in college I moved several times during my time on campus...I lived in 6 different dorm rooms in four years.  I hate the process of packing and moving, but I have gotten pretty good at it!

     The first home that I owned, I bought with my ex-husband.  It was going to be our forever home, but the marriage wasn't a forever marriage.  He still owns the home, so I guess it is his forever home.  I then bought a house on my own.  It was a small house, not quite tiny house size, but by most standards it was tiny. only 760 square feet.  When Jim and I became engaged, I put the house on the market.  It wasn't close to where the boys lived and it was just a little to small for us to entertain two active boys.  Jim and I decided that we wanted a forever home.  We fell in love with an old house and we bought it.  Unfortunately, old houses sometimes come with big problems.  We didn't have the time, energy, or money to fix all the things that needed to be fixed in that beautiful old home...so we decided to sell our forever home.

     When we moved to our current town, we talked about buying, but I wasn't convinced that we were going to stay here, so instead we rented.  Luckily, we found a nice home to rent right away.  Our home was on 8 acres of land, with our landlords living on the land as well.  We lived in the "front house" and our landlords lived in the "back house"  for two years.   Our landlords decided to try tiny living, so they moved into a fifth wheel travel trailer.  We moved into the "back house", where we still are.  We are renters, but our landlords give us plenty of freedom to do things with the land and house.

     Jim and I have talked about buying a home, even spending time with a realtor and looking at homes.  We have seen some houses that we have really liked, but none have been the right home.  I am not sure that there is a forever home out there for us, but I don't want Delainey moving around like I did.  I want her to have roots, a place that she can call home.  Until we find our forever home, we are making our home right where we are.  As long as we are together, we will be home, forever.


No comments: