Sunday, July 19, 2015

Vacation!

     Jim and I decided early in our marriage that family vacations were a priority for us.  I don't remember many family vacations from my youth, but some of Jim's best memories are of trips he took with his family.  This year, our budget has been stretched thin for various reasons and we really thought this would be our staycation year.  Staying at home for vacation would have been just fine, but we were able to take a budget friendly trip thanks to some family and friends!  

     One of my wonderful friends has a home in Michigan, just a few blocks from Lake Michigan.  We have stayed with her family before, so once again, I asked if we could use her home as a base for several days.  They welcomed us with open arms into their home.  They stocked food and beverages for us, left us their beach pass, and told us to enjoy because they were going to be gone for a few days when we were visiting.  I have a cousin who has a sailboat in the same area, so I invited my family out for a sail with my cousin and her family (they have given us a standing invitation, so I used it, I didn't just call out of the blue, I'm not that bold).

     We spent a day on the lake sailing with my cousins.  It was a perfect day and just as fun as the sailing was the visiting with family that I don't see very often.  We went out looking for beach glass one morning and got rained on, so we went shopping to a nearby outlet mall after we spent some time playing board games.  We spent a couple of days at the nearby beaches.  The water was cold, but the sun was shining and Delainey loved every minute that she spent in the 63 degree water!  We bought her a $20 boogie board and that was the best investment of the trip.  Delainey was able to glaze a bowl that she had made on our last trip to Michigan and throw two more.  She loves making pottery, so we are looking into lessons for her.  She is ahead with her 4H projects for next year already!  We also went to the Warren Dunes State Park.  The riptides were to bad for us to swim, but we were able to climb the sand dunes (and get sand in our camera) and then run down them.  We also found some cool beach glass in the sand.  Climbing in sand is hard work, but the view was worth it!  

     Our last family event of vacation was a biggie...a trip to The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.  We blew our budget on the day, but it was such an amazing time that I would do it over again!  I went to the museum in sixth grade on a school field trip and I remember several things about that trip, but didn't remember many more things.  I could go on for hours about our day, but I will just say...GO.  Save your money, find the time, and go.  There was something for all three of us at every turn.  If we lived near Chicago, we would have a family membership and go as often as possible.  

     We spent time together.  We stayed up to late.  We slept in each day.  We laughed and fussed with each other.  We all spent time reading and napping.  The best part...being together and making memories that will last us forever!


At the top of the sand dune!
     

No comments: