Thursday, January 14, 2016

Messages to Me

     A few days ago while listening to talk radio, the host asked people what advice they would give to their younger selves.  It's not a new concept, but it started me thinking what I would say to my younger self at various stages of my life.  The messages wouldn't go away, so I thought that I would share them.

Dear High School Nancy:  Be yourself.  You don't have to be loud to fit in.  Everyone else has the same fears and insecurities that you do, they just don't show it.  You are an awesome person, just the way that you are.  Be proud of who you are!  Learn to crochet when Grandma tries to teach you.  You will regret not doing this some day.

Dear College Nancy:  Stop rushing.  Enjoy this time of your life.  These people that you are getting to know see you as you are...the good, the bad, the ugly.  Many of them will be there for you the rest of your life.  You don't need to make all the decisions about your life right now, take time to explore all the options that are open to you.  Don't tie yourself down to one person so soon.

Dear 20's Nancy:  Be Independent.  Don't make decisions based on other people.  Do want you really want to do, not what you think that you should do.  Don't think that you will be able to change people that don't want to change.  Do what you love and don't let others lead you away from that.  You are really good at what you do, don't ever forget that.

Dear 30's Nancy:  It gets better.  You are only as old as you think you are, so don't let thirty get you down....after all twenty-ten still equals thirty.  Get the tattoo that you want for your birthday.  Listen to your gut.  When you know that something isn't right for you, change.  Don't stay in situations that are not good for you.  Think about what makes you happy and pursue it!  Be bold!

Dear 40's Nancy:  Trust God.  There will be some darkness, but there will be so much more joy.  Spend time with the ones that you love.  Invest time in your marriage.  Shut off the computer and get out into the world.  Explore your surroundings.  Stop worrying because worry can't change things.  Get involved with something, anything, that makes you happy.  It's going to be okay.

     Hindsight is always 20/20.  It's easy to sit now and give myself this advice, but I know that I wouldn't have listened.  I made the best decsions that I could make at the time.  The mistakes that I made, the choices that I made, have brought me to where I am now.  And really, I like the person that I have become.  I like the life that I have now.  It isn't perfect by any means, but it is perfectly me!

1 comment:

Curious said...

Very well said Miss Nancy.
Yes, you are really good at who you are and what u do!! U stand by your beliefs 💯%.
You have a deep living and caring compassion for the ppl you love and friends.
I think there is nothing more Beautiful than that💗.