Thursday, February 18, 2016

Delainey's Best

     This morning as I was driving Delainey to school, I looked at her in the review mirror and saw my baby girl.  Only she isn't a baby any more.  She is becoming a young lady.  In less than two weeks, she will be ten.  How on earth did that happen...I swear only yesterday she was a toddler.  I told her that I couldn't believe that she was almost ten.  I asked her what some of the best things are that she has done in her life and I honestly was surprised at how she answered.

     Her first response was taking dance classes.  She hasn't taken a dance class in five years.  The response might have been because we just saw a Facebook memory of her last dance class that she had before we left Indianapolis.  But if she truly loves dance that much, maybe Jim and I need to look into dance lessons again.  She loves to dance and spin around the house all the time.  Dance is one of her passions.  I want to support her in doing what she loves.

     Delainey's second response took me by surprise...moving to Salem.  The thing that has been hardest for me has been one of the best things for not only my daughter, but for my entire family.  Delainey feels connected to Salem.  I have struggled with the move a lot, but am finally at peace where we are.  It was hard at first, but now D is happy here.  The times that we have talked about moving, she has voiced her opinion quite loudly.  Unless we are moving to Maine (or possibly Michigan), she doesn't want to go any where.  She has grown roots here, it's where she is growing and blooming.

     Her third response was learning to ride a horse.  I expected this answer because she is my child and I love horses as well.  She is getting to do something that I would have loved to do at her age.  Three years ago, we found an amazing place for riding lessons, Cedar Ridge Farm.  Delainey has learned not only to ride horses, but how to take care of them as well.  Her instructor expects the best from Delainey and usually gets it (everyone has an off day, D is no exception).  D has made friends not only with the horses, but with the other lesson students.  Her confidence has grown so much around the horses that she is able to get onto any horse and know that she can do it.  What a life lesson she has learned from one of her best things!

     The last thing that Delainey said was one of her best things that she has done was making the swim team.  Again, we were lucky enough to find a swim instructor in Salem who expects the best from Delainey.  When D started lessons, she was afraid to be in water over her head.  Jim and I kept Delainey in private lessons for several months.  When lessons stopped, Delainey was asked to be part of the "pre-team" and we said yes. At the final pre-team practice, she was invited to be part of the team.  D has learned so much about working hard and not giving up from the team.  She has been supported and encouraged by her teammates and coach.  Last weekend, she was in her first swim meet.  She enjoyed the meet so much and was quite sad that swim season is over for her. Again, such life lessons that she has learned!

     The things that Delainey said were her best things were not easy things.  She didn't talk about our family vacations (and I think that we do some pretty cool vacations), those would have been on my list.  She talked about things that pushed her out of her comfort zone, that make her work hard for the end result.  The conversation with D this morning makes me think that Jim and I are doing something right while raising our girl.  It also makes me realize that I have a lot to learn from my little girl about working hard, getting out of my comfort zone, and pursuing my passions!

No comments: