Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Fat Tuesday!

     I love to celebrate special days and events.  From St Patrick's Day to Christmas, we acknowledge the holiday in some sort of way.  I have towels, window decorations, table cloths, and wall hangings for many holidays.  We do crafts for holidays, have special meals, and silly traditions.  It should come to no surprise then to learn that we celebrate Fat Tuesday in the Predmore home, with our own special twist.

     Fat Tuesday is the last day of the Mardi Gras celebration, which for some places start right after Christmas.  Traditionally, it is the last hurrah before the season of Lent begins.  People used to eat all the foods that they did not consume during Lent (sugars, meats, fatty foods...all the good stuff).  Foods like pancakes, paczkis, and king cakes are traditionally eaten on Fat Tuesday.  We generally have bacon and pancakes, along with our version of a king cake (one day I want to try a real king cake until then we have regular cupcakes with purple, green, and gold sprinkles...and a baby hidden in one of the cupcakes).  Some years we have a jambalaya type meal, but whenever I can have pancakes for dinner, I am there!

     Last night Delainey and I (Jim had to work...boo) celebrated Fat Tuesday in a different way.  Our church decided to have a Fat Tuesday Dinner.  A few of us cooked things like biscuits and gravy, waffles, sausage, and pancakes for anyone who wanted a good meal along with some fellowship and laughter.  We had whipped cream to top the waffles, blueberries and strawberries in the waffles and pancakes, coffee and Coke for everyone to share.  We passed out some beads to the guests and enjoyed the evening!  We didn't have a huge crowd because it was cold, windy, snowy, with a chance of ice under it all, but everyone who came, went away with a full belly and hugs all around!

     The serious side of Fat Tuesday is that it leads to the season of Lent.  Lent is the forty days before Easter.  In earlier times, people used this time for fasting, repenting, and sacrificing.  Today, some people give something up, others add in extra prayer time, and still others do a service project.  In our home, we don't force anyone to do anything...although last year when I gave up caffeine, Delainey wasn't happy that she didn't get any coffee (really, she only gets enough coffee to turn her cream and milk a light tan...I am not feeding the child a pot of coffee).  This year, I plan on giving up soft drinks...including my beloved Coke.  Jim is giving up chips of all kinds (which means he won't bring them home and I won't eat them-a win for me).

    Fat Tuesday is just a fun day in my life.  It doesn't have serious meaning, if I couldn't celebrate it one year I wouldn't be heart broken.  Going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras was always on my bucket list, but I am not so sure that I would enjoy it as much now as I would have in my twenties (or even my thirties), but maybe someday.  Until then, I will keep my simple Fat Tuesday celebrations with my pancakes, beads, and most importantly, my family!

No comments: