Monday, February 22, 2016

Out of the Blue

     While I was wasting time on Facebook Thursday, a friend posted a link to a blog by one of my old classmates' mom.  She is an artist and I wanted to see more of her work.  I clicked over to the blog and saw a post that she had written about her son, my classmate.  He had cancer.  We haven't been in touch in the years since I left my home town, other than once at a benefit for another classmate who had cancer.  Sunday morning when I got on Facebook, the first thing that I saw was a post by his mom saying that his journey is complete.  I am just at a loss on how to express my sorrow and why I feel so much sorrow.

     I don't want to make this post about my classmate.  I don't know him well enough to tell you all about him. He was a good guy.  He was a great basketball player back in the day.  We went to church together..which means we went to Sunday school together, youth group, and catechism.  From everything that I have seen, he was a great dad and grandpa, son and brother.  He will be missed by his family and friends.  He left here much to young, 51 is not a long life.  At 51, I have a lot of things that I still plan on doing.  I am sure that he had things he wanted to do as well.

     I think under the sadness of the loss of classmate, I am feeling my own mortality.  He was just six months older than me.  I will be 51 this summer.  I hope that I have many years left and I want to make the best of them.  I don't want to continue to put things off until tomorrow.  When the weather is nice, I need to get off my but and take my family out hiking.  I need to dance with Delainey.  I need to make time for dates with Jim.  I need to take time for myself to be creative, to read, to exercise.  I need to make sure that I am at peace with my past.  I need to forgive where it is needed.  I need to show and share love whenever and wherever I can.  

     I would ask anyone reading this, please take time to say a prayer for peace for families that have lost a loved one.  Then, I would ask that you give your loved ones a hug.  Let them know that you love them. Forgive others, forgive yourself.  Don't wait until tomorrow, next week, or next year...do it now.  None of us are promised tomorrow.  In the blink of an eye, life can change.  Don't let it change without making sure that you are being the best you possible.  Make things right in your life with your family, your friends, and God. Consider yourself hugged from me...unless your not a hugger, nah, who I am kidding, I would still hug you right now.  Embrace every moment today and every day...life your best life all the time!  I truly love you my friends!

No comments: