Saturday, January 30, 2021

Grace

a virtue coming from God

a temporary exemption; reprieve

the quality or state of being considerate or thoughtful*

 I have been thinking a lot about grace lately.  I almost chose it for my word of the year, but it just didn't seem like the right one.  I am struggling to give grace easily.  I have to remind myself to give grace. As my friend said the other day, Grace seems to be staying home and avoiding people these days.  More than ever, we need to give grace to so many people.  I know that I need to be given grace daily as well.

I work in retail.  I don't deal with the public in my position often, but when I do...it's hard.  It's hard to walk by a maskless person and not give them stink-eye.  I know that there are some people who cannot wear a mask, but most of the people I see just don't want to wear one.  I get it, not everyone thinks that they work.  But what if they do?  What does it harm someone to wear one for the short time that they are in a store shopping?  Grace...I need to give it to everyone, not just the people doing what I think they should be doing.  

I belong to a few groups that discuss elder care and families.  There are people in those groups who feel putting someone in long term care is the worst thing that you could do to someone you love.  I struggle to give those people grace.  Each person has different circumstances in their life and no situation is the same.  Honestly, we didn't think that we would be faced with this either.  But at some point, we had to think about the safety of everyone in our family.  It was the right choice for us and I know that we aren't alone in making that hard choice.  I try to give grace to those who think we have done the wrong thing, just I hope they are giving us the same grace.  

I have been learning to give myself grace as well.  I had some pretty lofty hiking goals for myself this month.  Between the weekend weather, family commitments, and some health things, I didn't reach my goal.  It's okay though, a new month is coming so I can set some new goals.  I don't need to beat myself up for what I didn't accomplish, but should find joy in the hikes that I did take.  Grace means giving myself a break.

Grace is hard.  We want everyone to do the right thing...as long as it is our right thing.  That isn't how grace works though.  Grace is considerate. Grace is thoughtful.  Grace is a virtue from God.  Just imagine how different life would be if we all gave grace to others.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I will be trying to give grace to all.  I won't always succeed, but I will keep trying.  I hope that I am given the same grace by others. 


*definition by Merriam-Webster

No comments: