Saturday, January 9, 2021

Hard Things

No, I am not going to talk about 2020, I did that already.  I am not going to talk about what's going on in the world, I just don't have the words.  We have been dealing with some hard things here at home, but we have faced them.  Hopefully we are succeeding! 

I was asked to write something.  I enjoy writing, but it's been a really long time since I was given a topic write about.  Usually I write whatever is on my mind.  I tried to write about any of the topics that I was given, but I struggled.  I was ready to say no, but then I remembered my word for the year...Willing.  Saying no is okay, but I want to be willing to do things that are hard.  I thought back to what an author I know has said about writing...just do a little each day.  I prayed and then shut off all the distraction around me.  The words mostly came and I think they are going to work.  I am still working on the ending, but I know it will come.  

Jim has a fear of dentists, like many of us.  He had a bad experience when he was a child so he puts things off until he just can't anymore.  Thursday he did a hard thing and had several procedures done.  Then he turned around and went to work Friday.  Most of us would have been in bed for a couple of days, but Jim is like that.  He isn't finished, but I know that he will continue.

D went back to school for a new semester.  Because of several events beyond anyone's control, her schedule had to be changed.  She has a couple of classes that only meet during a certain period, which limits her flexibility.  She had some periods with no classes and some with two classes.  She met with her counselor and they came up with some solutions.  Jim and I were part of the discussion, but she had the final say in what she is doing.  She is now taking eight classes instead of seven...two of them virtually.  There will be days that it might seem overwhelming, but she is prepared to put in the work needed.

Probably the hardest thing this week is knowing we can't be physically with Jim's mom right now.  She fell earlier in the week and fractured her hip.  She had surgery Thursday.  Because of COVID, we can't see her at the hospital. She has Alzheimer's and is alone in a strange place.  I am sure that she is in pain, confused and lonely.  It's hard.  We have to trust that the hospital staff is taking care of all her needs.  But it's still a hard thing.

In the big scheme of things, these aren't huge.  We will encounter harder things in life.  The little hard things prepare us for the bigger hard things.  We lean on each other when we have hard things in our life.  We trust that God has a plan for us in these hard things.  We know that hard things will pass...and we will be glad that they are over.   Personally, I am glad that this week is over and I am ready for a new week with fewer hard things happening.

No comments: