Friday, June 5, 2015

Celebration Week!

     It is Celebration Week at our house.  We are celebrating very differently than what has become our norm.  This is usually the week we reserve for our "big" vacation of the year.  Last year, we went to Maine, a few years ago we celebrated our week in Disney, one year a cabin in Wisconsin.  This year, we are not on vacation this week.  I am not sure that I like being home for Celebration Week, but the celebrations will happen where ever we are!
   
     The first event we celebrate is Jim's birthday.  This year, we both worked on his birthday.  I feel bad about that.  There wasn't much of a party...just a homemade meal (Mexican) with some beer, cupcakes, and a few gifts.  Jim is such an awesome man and he deserves a huge celebration of his birth.  He works hard to support his family in a demanding job.  There aren't words to say that could ever express how much I love and appreciate him.  If everyone who loved and respected Jim all gathered together on his birthday, June 3 would be one of the biggest party days ever.

     The second event in our week long celebration is June 5, which is my birthday.  Normally, I am pretty low key about my birthday, but this year I have been pretty demanding.  I have wanted my 50th (yes, 50) to be special.  And yesterday, I realized that what I want most is just to spend the day with Jim and Delainey doing the normal things we always do together.  We are heading to a new to us state park for a day of hiking, picnicking and just being together.  I am looking forward to the quiet of nature, our relaxing together, and sweating (okay, maybe not sweating).

     The last event that we will celebrate happens Sunday, which is our 12th anniversary.  It's hard to believe that twelve years ago, we made our vows before God, family, and friends.  Things haven't always been easy, we have been through more than I ever thought possible, but we are still here, still together, and stronger than ever.  We haven't made any plans other than attending church Sunday morning, and that's okay.  Sunday is usually a day that we relax at home and get ready for the upcoming week.  I am hoping we can get something special from the farmer's market Saturday to fix for our anniversary meal Sunday.  As long as I can spend the day with Jim, it's all good!

     Jim and I as individuals are far from perfect.  Our marriage, wonderful as it is, is far from perfect.  We are happy, healthy, and glad to have made it through another year, older, wiser, and still standing.  Celebration Week this year looks different than usual, but there is still plenty to celebrate!

No comments: