Thursday, December 31, 2015

Indiana State Parks turn 100!

     This is so not what I was planning to write about today, but I saw something on Facebook this morning and I had to share the information.  The Indiana State Library has teamed up with the Indiana State Parks to offer state park entrance passes that can be checked out at local libraries!  Anyone with a library card (which is free), will have free access to the state parks in Indiana for 2016.  I think that this is an amazing opportunity for people to check out the fantastic state parks in Indiana.

     Anyone who knows me and my family, knows that we are huge fans of the state parks in Indiana.  We make it a point each year to visit several throughout out the state.  The fee to most of the state parks is $7 per carload (for instate cars), my family buys a $50 pass that is good for the entire year to all the state parks in Indiana.  We get our moneys worth every year because we visit so many of the parks.

     We live just down the road from Spring Mill State Park.  We go there to hike on a regular basis.  We love the easy hike around the lake, but there are some that are more challenging.  Delainey did her photography project for 4H at Pioneer Village.  We make use of the pool several times during the summer.  And while our house was getting sprayed due to a flea infestation, we stayed at Spring Mill Inn.  I have friends who spend their anniversary each year at Spring Mill.

     For my fiftieth birthday celebration, we went to a new to us park, Lincoln State Park.  We had a picnic lunch, hiked, and enjoyed nature.  Delainey and I went swimming in the lake, while Jim found a quiet place to fish (yes he fished in the same lake where we were swimming, fish live in lakes...).  It was a perfect way to celebrate my birthday.  I have camped at Clifty Falls State Park several times, with my family and friends. The trails at Clifty are awesome, some follow Clifty Creek and lead to a water fall, a beautiful sight to behold!  My boys, who were not big on hiking, even enjoyed the hike that took us through the creek, great on a hot day!

     Turkey Run State Park has been part of my life since high school.  My girls group at church went camping there each year.  The day after prom one year was spent there.  One year our family vacation was going to be spent at Turkey Run.  The heat sent us home after a day though...100 degree heat in a tent with no fans or air was to much for us!  My girlfriends and I camped there one weekend.  We can laugh about it now, but we went tubing down Sugar Creek during a drought.  If you want to do that, make sure that the water levels are high enough so that you don't have to walk most of the trip...it would have been fun tubing, but walking, not so much!

     My favorite hidden gem of a state park is Fort Harrison.  Fort Harrison is a state park in Indianapolis.  You don't expect such a secluded place in the city, but it's there.  I wrote about Fort Harrison earlier this year, so I won't repeat myself, but it truly is worth the visit.  So many precious memories of my family have taken place at Fort Harrison.

     I could talk all day about the state parks in Indiana.  I went on a field trip in third grade to the Indiana Dunes State Park (my mom was the rebel chaperon that let us stick our feet into the water).  During a rough spot in our marriage, Jim and I took a trip to Brown County State Park that helped us reconnect and take time out from the difficulties that we were facing.  I went on a youth group retreat to Pokagon State Park.  I have been hiking at McCormick's Creek, Falls of the Ohio, Shades, and Versailles.  Each park has its own identity, something that makes it special.

     If you haven't been to a state park in Indiana, take some time in 2016 to visit one.  Go to the library and check out an entrance pass.  Spend the day getting back to nature.  Enjoy the hiking, the fresh air, the sounds of the woods, the time with your family.  This is a great opportunity that we have this year.  Celebrate 100 years of Indiana State Parks with some of the special activities that are being planned this year!  I know that I will be there with my family!

No comments: