Thursday, December 24, 2015

She gets it!

     As a parent, I always wonder if Delainey understands the things that we are trying to teach her.  Some days, I don't think that she understands at all.  This year, we were lucky enough to have extra, so we were able to help out a friend in need and take a name from our county's angel tree.  The plan was to spend black Friday shopping for these special gifts.  More than once, I had to remind her that our budget was not for us, but for others.  It was hard and frustrating.  I questioned whether or not she understands that others won't be celebrating Christmas in their own home, without plenty of food, and little to no gifts.

     Earlier this month, Jim and I were able to take a group of youth to Indianapolis to work with a church that serves a hot meal on Sundays to the homeless and needy.  D was the youngest member on the team working.  She jumped right in and asked to work in the kitchen.  She helped wash dishes, worked on the line serving the food, and then jumped onto the cleanup detail.  She hasn't said much about the experience, other than she wants to go again, but I could tell that she was taking it all in.

     As part of Advent, we are doing a Jesse tree devotion using her Jesus Storybook Bible (can you tell that I love this book?).  We read a story each night and then one of us prays.  One night after reading the story of David and Goliath, D prayed.  She thanked God that he uses the small and the weak to do His work. Be still my heart!  She is listening to the stories and lessons that she hears.  She is taking it in and making it meaningful to her.

     Our church hosts a Blue Christmas service for the community.  It is a service that acknowledges that not everyone is excited about Christmas, that personal issues are preventing people from enjoying the season.  D and I went, not because we are sad this season, but because we support our church programs.  D helped throughout the service, lighting the Advent candles, passing out tea lights to people as they shared their sorrows, passing out blue ornaments to decorate the tree.  She was very serious as she listened to people share their sorrows.  During the service she was crying.  She couldn't explain why.  She regretted not lighting a candle for her sister that I miscarried.  She did tell me that she was glad that we went.  She saw the joy in people as we finished decorating the blue Christmas tree.  It was a meaningful service for both of us.

     I sometimes forget that she is 9.  There are going to be days that the whole world revolves around her.  And it will frustrate me...but heck, there are days that I think the world should revolve around me.  But I am seeing that there are more days in the life of my little girl, that she sees the bigger picture.  She sees sorrow and loss and pain of others.  She wants to be part of the solution.  She really does get it!
   

No comments: