Thursday, December 10, 2015

'Tis the Season

     I love Christmas, I think everyone knows that about me.  In our house, we start decorating for Christmas in November.  All three of us enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of Christmas.  In the past, I have over planned for us and often left us all tired.  I end up disappointed that we didn't do something that was on our list.  This year, I have changed my focus.  I have lowered my expectations and focused more on the peace of the season.  I am doing things daily this year to prepare the reason that we celebrate Christmas in our house.  I am celebrating the season of Advent.

     Last year, I tried to do an elaborate Jesse tree, with paper ornaments that needed colored, long scripture readings for each day, and I failed.  I had the tree ready, but not the ornaments.  I think that we did one or two days together as a family and then, nothing.  This year, we are using my favorite storybook Bible, The Jesus Storybook Bible, as our Advent reading.  The stories are simple, sweet, and all of them lead to Jesus.  After we read the story, one of us will say a prayer and then we put a simple circle ornament on our Jesse tree.  This time that we spend together as a family has been such an amazing time for all of us.  To hear Delainey read one of the stories or listen to Jim pray just makes my heart happy.

     Each morning before I hit the shower, I have been reading a daily reflection that one of my Facebook friends shared. I am enjoying the readings and reflections each day.  The readings and reflections give me pause throughout the day.  I like starting my mornings with this.  It doesn't take long for me to read and I have time throughout the day to process what I have read.  I end my day with an Advent reading that I received from my church.  My day is beginning and ending with words that are building me up, giving me strength and knowledge.

     As I am experiencing this season that we refer to as Christmas, I am taking time to enjoy the season of Advent.  I am taking time to reflect and worship.  I am taking time to prepare my heart to celebrate the birth of my Saviour.  I am taking time to enjoy my family and count my blessings.  I hope that everyone is able to take some time in the stillness and just be in the moment.

No comments: