Monday, April 18, 2016

Respect

     The other day I was driving a friend home.  She told me that there was a shorter way between my house and hers, but it was over gravel roads, so she didn't take it very often in her car.  She commented that she tries to keep her car clean and in good shape to show respect to her husband who bought the car for her to use as a nice family car.  I loved the way she said that...she was showing respect to her husband by taking care of something that he bought for her.  I have never looked at things this way, but it is changing my thought process.

     My first thought was how am I modeling that kind of respect for Delainey?  I have talked before about the fact that my house is not always neat.  Putting my things away and keeping them tidy is a show of respect...to Jim and I both who work hard for what we have.  I get upset at D for not keeping her room clean and tidy... but, she is following my example.  I have talked to her a little about how not putting things away is being disrespectful.  I think that this will be a new way to talk to her about keeping things put away in our house.  She understands respect...hopefully this will be meaningful to all of us in our house.

     Next, how am I showing respect to Jim?  I know that we both work full time, but he easily works 20 hours a week more than me...including my drive time.  Do I thank him when he takes the trash out?  Do I spend time with him, just the two of us?  He does the yard work at home, what are some simple ways that I can show respect for the hard work that he does...I try to make sure that he has cool drinks, is that enough? I will have to think of ways...like keeping my car clean...to show respect to him.

     Am I showing respect to others?  Do I roll my eyes when someone talks to me?  I need to show others respect by listening to them.  I need to be fully present when talking to people..not thinking about what else I could be doing.  If I want respect from others, I need to give respect first.

     I know that I am not respecting myself lately.  Taking care of my body is the best way to show respect to myself, and I haven't done that lately.  I am working on eating better and trying to exercise. I don't get enough sleep or spend time doing the things that I enjoy.  I need to start doing better for myself.   I deserve respect as well, so I have to act accordingly.

     So in my best Aretha Franklin voice,"R E S P E C T...find out what it means to me".  I will be spending some time thinking about what respect means to me. And then, how can I show respect to my family, my self, and others.   It is definitely food for thought for me!

No comments: