Sunday, January 19, 2014

Balance...Delainey's way!

     My word of the year, Balance, is also my family's word of the year.  That word means different things for each of us and we all need to find our own balance.  I have a binder of things that I am including in my plan for balance.  Part of Jim's balance is managing work and home a little differently this year.  For Delainey, this means running a 5k...for the family.  Yes, Delainey wants the three of us to run a 5k this year.  So, for the love of my child, I am making plans to run a 5k.

     I have always had friends who are runners.  I know people who run 5k's, half marathons, marathons, ultra-marathons...I don't understand those people, but I like them anyway.  Seriously, I like the idea of running, but the thought of running, not so much!  The thought of running makes me want to crawl back into my bed and hide.

     I am starting to plan now.  I am moving a little more each day.  That in itself is huge for me...I have a job in an office, at a desk.  I drive 2 hours a day on top of being at work 9 hours a day.  That is a lot of sitting.  In March, we are going shopping for running shoes. And then we run.  My plan is to use Couch to 5K to train with.  I know others who started this way, so that is my starting point.  Since I have finally gotten a smart phone, I can download an app to help me (yes, until recently, I still had a phone, just a phone), if I can figure out what that means exactly.

     My friend Liz, from Eternal Lizdom, is planning on running with her daughter. Liz and I don't live close enough to train together, but we can encourage each other...and wonder what on earth our daughters have gotten us in to!  I have friends, both runners and non-runners who I know will encourage me.  And I know that my family will be my biggest source of encouragement.

     We haven't found a race for us yet, but I know that we will.  I have confidence that as a family we will accomplish this goal that Delainey has set for us.  But in the meantime, if you see me lagging behind Jim and Delainey, give me a little encouragement...or a ride to catch up to them!

1 comment:

Eternal Lizdom said...

Oh yes - what HAVE these girls done to us???