Friday, January 3, 2014

The Power of Words

     I am enjoying watching so many friends (and friends of friends) pick a word for the year.  I have been picking a word for the year for a while now.  When I pick the word, I am never sure how it will turn out or if the word is really  beneficial, but looking back on my words, I can see how they all worked in my life.

     In 2011, I chose the word "Better".  2011 was a rough year for me.  As a family, we were facing a huge relocation....from the city to the country.  I didn't want to move.  I didn't tell people about it until I had to tell them.  Jim moved before me. I had to transfer to a new job.  We all had big adjustments to make.  I struggled with it each day.   I had to tell myself that each day would get better.  It was hard, but it did get better.  We moved into a house after being in an apartment.  I liked my new job.  Delainey got to enjoy a large yard.  It wasn't a perfect year, but it ended better than it started.

     In 2012, I chose the word "Healthy".  I didn't want to focus on just weight loss, but on all aspects of the word.  Looking back, some could say that the word didn't do much good, as that was the year Jim was diagnosed with cancer.  But leading up to that time we had started taking baby steps to a healthier life.  We started shopping at local farmer's markets each week.  We found a family doctor to take care of us.  We found a church home that we are all happy with.  We were forming new friendships.  We became closer as a family.  We formed the building blocks of a healthier life that would aid us in the fight of Jim's cancer.

     In 2013, I chose the word "Stronger".  Again, I didn't want to focus only on the physical aspect of the word, but my entire being.  I do feel that I grew stronger in many ways.  My faith became so much stronger as the year went on.  Mentally, I am stronger than I have ever been.  As a family, we have become strong together.  My ties to our community have grown stronger.  Physically, I did not grow in strength.  I feel that is my one area that my word didn't ring true.  I had surgery last year and feel that my body has become weaker rather than stronger.  But maybe in order to grow stronger in other areas, the obvious area wasn't as important.

     I am anxious to see what 2014 brings in terms of balance.  I have my goals for the year, but my goals aren't always the end result of my word.  I joked with a friend that sometimes the word chooses you rather than you choosing the word.  I feel that way about "Balance" this year.  If you have a word for the year, good luck on your journey.  I look forward to hearing about your word and the things it brings!

No comments: