Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Better

     I read a book a few years ago about a group of women who met for dinner each month.  Every year, they would each choose a word that would define their year.  I have wanted to do this ever since, but I haven't until now.  This year my word is "better".  I don't mean better as in "I am better than anyone else", I want to be a better Nancy.  I am not bad, but I know that I can be better in several areas of my life. 

     A better wife....Jim would tell you that I am a great wife.  I know that he is an awesome husband.  He is so patient with me.  I snap at him.  I expect him to read my mind.  I expect more from him that I expect from others.  I want to snap at him less.  I want to express my needs and wants to him so that he doesn't have to read my mind.  I want to give him more of my time.  Date nights are hard to come by, especially after we move, but I need to give more of my time to us.

     A better mom....I am a good mom.  There are always ways to be better.  I want to play more with Delainey.  Sometimes I forget to play with her, I expect her to play alone instead of sitting down to play alongside of her.  I need to have a better plan for bedtime.  Tonight is a prime example of needing a plan for bedtime, when Delainey finally went to sleep, we were both unhappy.  I want her to have great memories of childhood.  I want to make sure that I do better all of the time as a mom.

     A better Christ-follower...I attended church when I was in school.  During college, I stopped attending church and I didn't find a church home until a year ago.  That was a long time to be without a church.  I never stopped believing in God, but I stopped having a relationship with him.  During the past year, I know that my faith has become stronger and deeper.  I have a relationship with Christ that is very important to me now.  I want that relationship to be better because I think all of my relationships will grow stronger.

     A better Nancy...I want to spend time with me, learning about the things that I enjoy and then doing them more!  I want to be healthier, which means more exercise, less processed foods, more local foods.  I just want to be the best me that I can become.

     At the end of the year, I hope that "better" has been a true theme for me.

No comments: